Wednesday, February 1, 2012

"Take it to the Limit"


Whenever I hear that phrase, I want to immediately break out my lovely song-bird-like voice and try my best to mimic the Eagles.  This song vividly brings to mind road trips my mom, sister, and I used to take together.  Mom would play it to keep awake on a long drive… and push the [speed] limit to get there just a little quicker.  Mom, thank you so much for this memory :) 

The last several days have presented a multitude of opportunities for me to say YES or NO… or, “take it to the limit,” or not.  One example: Saturday morning.  Cold and snowy, streets pooled with puddles from all the rain we’d had, and the wind honestly stronger than I’ve felt in a while… I set out for my regular long training run.  Alone.  Alone?!  That doesn’t happen too often on Saturdays, but my running group was all running (no pun intended, haha) in different directions this week.  I ran from my house, and turned around to come back home about 0.48 miles in.  THE WIND WAS SO COLD!!!  

I literally said out loud to myself,
“Maggie, you can either be mentally STRONG or mentally WEAK.”
  

I made a decision to push my morning-time-wimpy-sleepy-head limits, and keep running.  Once I got to the Monon, the wind calmed down a little and I felt good.  Mentally, I was impressed with myself, and physically I was relieved :)  It wasn’t until I was at my turnaround point that the wind came at me again, pulling snot out of my dripping nose and sending it flying from my face (I never said I looked good!!).  It was a tough run overall, and I may not have conquered the full 16 miles I was scheduled, but I did do 10.25 by myself, in the cold, windy, dark morning at a pretty regular training pace for myself.  The sun was actually breaking through the clouds when I got home, which I considered a gift from above since I had pushed myself to get stronger that morning.  

Bailey with me after my run!
The day just got better from there!  I went to lunch with my mom, sister, best friend Betsy, and her mom, Lynn.  Cheesecake Factory was much desired and appreciated!  Then, we got to see my friend Whitney and her BEAUTIFUL twin babies, Preston & California.  

California (look at that adorable lip!)
Preston (what a cute little man!)
Betsy & I

My beloved sister, Colleen

We’re all blessed in so many ways.  Life doesn’t [ever] come easy, but when we push, and word hard for something… it helps us to see the good more clearly, and appreciate it on a deeper level. 

The last thought I’ll leave you with today is…

DON’T GIVE UP WHAT YOU WANT MOST, FOR WHAT YOU WANT NOW. 

No comments:

Post a Comment