Monday, March 12, 2012

Try it!


HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MOM
Before I say anything else, I have to wish my mom a happy 55th birthday!!!  She has always been there for me and my sister, supporting our hopes, dreams, and always giving us the guidance we needed (whether it was what we wanted at the time or not).  That’s what moms do, right? :)  I know how blessed I am to have a mother who cares the way she does, and who is stronger than almost anyone I know.  Happy Birthday, Mom!  
My mom with her parents, my Jammy & Papa, and their cute dog Chauncey!


WHAT’S UP, NUTRITION?
We’re now 12 days into National Nutrition Month.  Have you made some positive changes?  It’s not about perfection, but about making small changes to make an overall big difference down the road.   

I experimented this week a little… and have to say, I was really impressed with my creations!  My Runner’s World magazine had a recipe for Mediterranean Pizza that inspired a delicious pizza dinner I made one night (it was really good, and so easy).  And I was in the mood for sweets one day when I woke up, so I made an awesome Peanut Butter Chocolate Oatmeal breakfast.  I had a 20 mile run scheduled for Saturday morning, so I made a pretty basic (but tasty) dinner on Friday night consisting of soup, rice, and green beans.  (All recipes below!!)

It’s all about trying something new.  Going for it.  If it ends in disappointment (like the jalapenos in my pizza!), improve it the next time around.  Making a point to purchase nutrient-packed foods is the first step in improving your overall nutrition.  Look through cookbooks, magazines, websites for inspiration on how to include those foods into meals that you'll really enjoy.  If I can do it, so can you (and my mom will SURELY attest to that!). 

There’s no room for growth if you never try to improve.  


Veggie Pizza

Peanut Butter Chocolate Oatmeal
Pre-Run Dinner


Veggie Pizza
1 Flat-out (wrap packed with fiber and protein, low in calories)
Bunch of Kale, sautéed in non-stick spray
Mushrooms, chopped up and sautéed with the Kale
Red Bell Pepper, chopped and sautéed with Kale/Mushrooms
Jalapeño pepper, chopped (should have sautéed!!!  This was a mistake! HA)
Crumbled Goat Cheese
Tuna, drained
Pizza sauce

I cooked the kale, mushrooms and red pepper first.  I just put them in a pan with some Pam and let them cook… but made sure they kept some “crunch” to their texture.  I added the Jalepeno pepper at the last minute, and I can’t say I would add this again.  It left my mouth ON FIRE. 

I broiled the Flat-out for a couple minutes on both sides to make the crust crispy.  Then I added the pizza sauce, sautéed veggies, tuna, and goat cheese.  I put it back in the oven for a couple minutes to warm it all together.  I ate it with a knife and fork.  It was good!! 

Peanut Butter Chocolate Oatmeal
Since I’m obsessed with oatmeal and egg white sandwiches for breakfast, I’ve been rotating these two breakfasts.  I made a great power oatmeal this week that was AWESOME and I have to share.  

As always, throw everything in a bowl, mix it up, microwave for a couple minutes, and feast!!

Old fashioned oats (heaping quarter cup)
Naturally More Peanut Butter (1 Tbsp.)
Cocoa powder (1 Tbsp.)
Nonfat Milk
Milled Flax Seed (1 Tbsp.)
Egg Whites (2)

I don’t think it looks as appetizing as it actually tasted… but this is definitely worth a shot if you like peanut butter and chocolate! 

 Pre-Long Run Din-din
1 can Progresso Chicken Noodle Soup
3oz. Baked Chicken breast (added to the soup for more protein)
¼ cup Brown rice (cooked = ½ cup)
Green beans (with parmesan and spray butter!) 
I also snacked on some Trader Joe’s Shredded Spoonfuls cereal later that night :)  

HAVE A HAPPY DAY!!! Don't forget to SMILE. 

No comments:

Post a Comment