Monday, March 26, 2012

Reflecting on Sam Costa

Saturday, I participated in the 43rd Annual Sam Costa Half Marathon!  This race, directed by Indy Runners, is the oldest race held annually in our Hoosier state.  Many people don’t know that… and many more haven’t even heard of the Sam Costa Half Marathon (there is also a Quarter Marathon, which began 6 years ago). 
The race isn’t huge, which is great for those of us who get frustrated dodging heels and bodies in crowded race corrals, but it also isn’t small, so you’re always walking/running among other participants.   It is also exceptionally well-organized, which is great for ALL of us.  The Indy Runners race directors and volunteers work extremely hard at making the event one that participants come back to year after year (as an Indy Runner, I may be biased about the extraordinary performance of our running club, but I didn’t do any of the background work, so I can brag about them).  The participants range in age and ability, which makes all participants feel welcome and challenged.  The course is varied, taking you through neighborhoods and some rural roads.  There are some hills, giving your calves more of a challenge than most other local races (if you’re from somewhere other than Indiana, disregard that piece of information).  It is one of the first races of the spring season, which provides a check-point for those in training for later spring/summer races… or a challenge for those who would like to do an early race. 
My experience this year was a good one!  Since I am training for my second full marathon (which is 4 weeks away), my goal was to use the Sam Costa as more of a workout / training run.  I’ve SAID this many times... including prior to running in last year’s Sam Costa.  I wanted to PR at the Mini, so planned to just run the Costa (versus race it).  Well, as my friend Leslie can attest, we raced it.  Our first mile was something like a 7:02 pace, which is not the really the pace either of us should be at the start of a half marathon (granted it was a mostly downhill mile).  Sometimes, if you feel good… it’s hard to hold back.  I ended with a time of 1:37:37, and first place for my age group.  
I've never been a fan of how I look
running.  Stunning, isn't it?? 
This year, thanks to my friend Nate, I kept a TRAINING pace.  Since Nate is such a “numbers guy,” and he’s great at maintaining the “correct” goal pace, he was exactly what my body needed for a running buddy.  Plus, we had a fun first half catching up and talking about the recent happenings of life (including the scheduled birth of his TWINS today!!!).  I finished the last 3 miles faster than the first 10.  I had to take a quick port-a-potty stop, which is never a fun break, but it let me pick up the pace and finish the last couple miles (the last of which is uphill) with strong legs and a clear mind.  Race time 1:41:33, 7:46 pace… the perfect training pace right now for me at that distance. 
My sister, Colleen! 

It was a beautiful morning, nice and cool!  And the sun came out and warmed the runners and spectators as racers were crossing the finish line.  I am so blessed to always have great supporters (my cheerleaders) at the majority of my races.  They wake up early and come to cheer on myself & my sister (who rocked the quarter marathon!).  My best friend’s parents, Lynn & Brad, were also there to cheer us on (Betsy also conquered the half that morning!).  And the countless runners and walkers there, for the same reason as myself, who cheer each other on and give that irreplaceable feeling of peer encouragement.  Other than pushing for PRs and self-improvement, that is what makes these races SO enjoyable: the people there alongside you. 
If you haven’t participated in the Sam Costa before… put a reminder in your calendar for next year and try it out!  It’s definitely worth your time. 
Carpe diem! 

No comments:

Post a Comment